Name of Client : Adnoc Sour Gas

Estimated Budget : $550,000,000

Contract Value : $510,000,000

Facility Type : Gas Field

Sector : Gas

Main Contractor : Saipem

Location : Shah Field

Award Date : 2021-Q2

Status : Construction


The Shah Gas processing plant in Abu Dhabi has an existing nameplate capacity of almost 1260 MMcfd. The plant is the largest sour gas plant in the world. Due to a higher sulphur content, the plant requires specific technologies to ensure safety and respect for the environment.

The technologies utilised will ensure moreover continuity of production even during maintenance work and minimise downtime.

The gas plant receives and processes fluids from the nearby Shah Arab sour gas field. The Optimum Shah Gas Expansion (OSGE) focuses on expanding the capacity of the Shah sour gas terminal to up to 1450 MMcfd.

Project Scope

The scope of work includes surface facilities, acid gas removal units, natural gas liquids recovery, gas dehydration facilities, sulphur recovery and handling units, and gas gathering facilities. In addition, construction of well pads and gas gathering trunk lines, main gas plant, product pipelines, sulphur granulation plant, associated onshore infrastructure, and utilities.

Project Status

As of MARCH 2023, the client confirms that the project will be completed in 2024. Major works will be done in 2-3 months.

Project Finance

Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (Adnoc) Sour Gas is the project client. Adnoc has a 60 per cent stake in Adnoc Sour Gas with the remaining 40 per cent stake held by Occidental Petroleum.

Project Schedules

Project Announced : 1Q-2016

EPC ITB : 4Q-2020

EP : 2Q-2021

Construction : 1Q-2022

Completion : 1Q-2024