Name of Client : OQ8

Estimated Budget : $2,000,000,000

Main Contractor : McDermott International Petrofac; Samsung Engineering Company

Facility Type : Petroleum Oil

Sector : Exploration & Upstream Production Refining

Location : Duqm, Oman

Award Date : 2017-Q3


The 230,000 bpd capacity refinery is part of the government's plans to develop the Duqm area, in which a port and associated facilities are being built. Around 65 per cent of crude feedstock for the refinery will be from Kuwait, and the rest 35 per cent from within the Sultanate. Natural gas for the utilities at the plant will be supplied via a pipeline that Oman Gas Company (OGC) is laying from Saih Nihayda in central Oman to the Duqm SEZ. The Central Utilities Company (CUC) will develop and operate seawater Intake facilities associated to the refinery. Duqm Petroleum Terminal Company (DPTC) will build a liquid jetty to handle ships bringing in crude for processing, and carrying refined fuels and petrochemicals for export markets.

Project Status

As of June 2022, pre-commissioning activities have begun. Some facilities within the package, including the energising of some lines, have already entered the commissioning stage. The first boiler is scheduled for start-up in June 2022..

Project Scope

The scope of work includes utilities and offsites (power, water, gas, steam, air, N2); tanks (crude, products and intermediate); sewage treatment facility; buildings (admin, main, lab, control room). The tanks will have various storage capacities: jet fuel (3*75 kbbl diesel, 3*186 kbbl LPG, 6*16 kbbl, naphtha - 3*92 kbbl, VR/HSFO - 4*252 kbbl); and crude storage tanks 3*300.

Project Finance

Duqm Refinery and Petrochemical Industries Company (DRPIC) is the client.

Project Schedules

Feasibility Study : 3Q-2006

PMC ITB : 1Q-2012

PMC : 3Q-2012

FEED : 1Q-2014

EPC ITB : 1Q-2015

EP : 3Q-2017

Construction : 1Q-2019

Commissioning : 2Q-2022

Completion : 1Q-2024